Invisalign braces are changing the way people straighten their teeth. In the past, when people wanted to straighten their crooked teeth their only option was to get metal braces. Although these traditional braces produced results, the process was often a long and painful one for patients. Now, thanks to advancement in dental technology people have another treatment option to fix their crooked teeth: Invisalign braces.
Invisalign braces consist of a series of custom-made removable plastic aligners, which, when worn in succession, slowly push teeth back into place. These new braces offer patients many more conveniences than traditional metal ones. For instance, since the plastic aligners are removable patients can take them out when eating and brushing their teeth, allowing them to maintain proper oral hygiene. Another convenience is that since the aligners are clear, patients do not have to worry about their appearance in important social or professional situations.
With these and other benefits, how come more people do not take advantage of Invisalign braces? Unfortunately, many myths about Invisalign have unfairly caused many people to be skeptical of the treatment. So to help put the record straight here are the top 5 most common myths about Invisalign braces:
- Invisalign braces are more expensive than traditional metal ones. This is not true. Although the price of Invisalign aligners will fluctuate on a case to case basis, in general the cost of this treatment is quite comparable to metal braces.
- Certain overbites and underbites cannot be fixed with Invisalign braces. The truth is that Invisalign has been able to help both people who suffer from overbites and underbites just as well as traditional metal braces can.
- Invisalign braces work slower than metal braces. Invisalign braces have actually shown to work faster than traditional braces because the aligners are changed every 2 weeks versus metal brackets which are tightened once every 4-6 weeks. On average, a person using Invisalign aligners will have straight teeth within 1 year.
- Invisalign’s plastic aligners are uncomfortable to wear. Invisalign braces are a gentle dental treatment. The custom-made aligners are made out of a smooth, flexible plastic so they do not irritate the gum or mouth.
- If the Invisalign aligners are lost, they are extremely expensive to get replaced. Many dentist offices offer patients up to 6 free replacement aligners if the originals are ever lost or broken.