- The recommendation of your primary dentist is an important consideration. Your general dentist has a picture of the current status and condition of your mouth if you have been making regular visits for dental hygiene check ups. At Cosmetic Dental Associates we are both a general dentist and a cosmetic dentist office. The condition of your teeth, gums, supporting bone structure and occlusion (bite) has an impact on the life expectancy of cosmetic dental procedures. Treatment for these conditions may be needed before the cosmetic dentistry treatment begins. An entire mouth reconstruction may be part of your cosmetic dentistry treatment in some instances.
- Cosmetic Dentist vs. General Dentist: Since there are no regulations by the State Board that requires special training in Cosmetic Dentistry any dentist can claim they are a cosmetic dentist. It is important to look at the work they have performed so you can see how experienced the cosmetic dentist is. Check out our Smile Gallery of before and after photos to see some of the quality work that our very own award winning cosmetic dentist Dr. Moore has completed. You can have a technically perfect crown done that does not have the same natural look as one that has been done by highly skilled cosmetic dentist. The whole point of any cosmetic dentistry procedure is that it looks beautiful, natural and that know one can even tell you had it done.
- Ask your friends or neighbors that have had dental work done by a cosmetic dentist who they would recommend.
- Prior to setting up a consultation with a cosmetic dentist, make sure you know how experienced they are in the field.
What to Expect at your Consultation
You should consider the following criteria upon meeting for a consultation with a cosmetic dentist.The results may vary dependent on the skill of your cosmetic dentist.
- Does the cosmetic dentist have a high level of experience in general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and full mouth reconstruction?
- How long has the cosmetic dentist been practicing?
- How extensive is the cosmetic dentist’s practice? Does he / she offer study models, imaging technology, and/or bonding previews for your procedure recommendations?
- Does the cosmetic dentist have before-and-after photos of past patients?
- Does the cosmetic dentist offer dental technologies to assist in your dental needs?
- Ask about the dental assistant that the cosmetic dentist plans on using during your visit. Do they communicate well with each other?
- Ask about the different types of materials that the cosmetic dentist has selected for your treatment plan.
- How long are the results expected to last and what kind of maintenance is required in order to maintain the benefit of the procedures.
- What is the cosmetic dentist’s diagnosis and what treatments are offered / suggested? It is important that you understand the treatment plan and any viable alternatives.
- Are you comfortable with the atmosphere at the office? Specifically, are you comfortable with the cosmetic dentist’s manner in which he / she works on and communicates with you?? Is the staff friendly, welcoming, and quick to address your concerns? It is important to establish a relationship with everyone involved because cosmetic treatment is can take a lot of time.
- Are there any special considerations that must be taken for patients when traveling to a cosmetic dentist.
- Record a list of the materials chosen for your cosmetic dentistry treatment. This information is very important if any of the components used in your procedure break, malfunction or even fall off. You could even have an allergic reaction to a certain material used in the procedure. Though there is a small risk of having an allergic reaction, it is still crucial to keep in your mind. It is always important to keep your own records with information about the procedure and the types of materials used.
- Is there anything provided like headphones or comfortable chairs to provide comfort to the patient during the cosmetic dentistry treatment?
- Though unlikely to happen, is the emergency service provided by the cosmetic dentist or a staff member and is it over the phone or in person?
- What are the financial options?
- Does your cosmetic dentist offer 3rd party financing payment options?
These are just a few points that you should take into consideration when choosing a cosmetic dentist. Above all you have to feel confident and comfortable that the cosmetic dentist you choose will deliver the results you want. Again look at our Smile Gallery of before and after photos to get an idea of the type of quality work that can be had.